1) All walkers under 18 years of age or who are members of school or youth groups must be supervised by adults (over 18 years of age) in a ratio of not more than 1 to 5.
2) The following equipment must be carried in a backpack by those participating in the event:
- First aid kit for the treatment of strains, sprains and blisters
- Food and drink as required (NB water is available at every checkpoint)
- Ordnance Survey map of the walk area, 1:25,000 Exmoor Explorer map sheet 9
- A whistle
(If walkers are in a clearly defined group, it will be sufficient if the above items are carried by supervising adults only)
3) All entrants must take account of the weather conditions which may be encountered during the walk and may deem it necessary to carry additional items.
- Emergency food which should be remain untouched during the walk, being
used only in the event of an emergency.
- Warm sweater
- Spare socks and hand towel ( Full distance entrants only)
- Survival bag/blanket capable of enclosing the whole body
- Torch with efficient bulb and battery/ies
- Waterproof hat, coat and trousers
- Sun hat or similar
4) Half Distance Walkers - Please note that unfortunately there is no provision within the rules for half distance walkers to develop ‘second wind’ at Picked Stones Lane and to carry on to complete the full course. All walkers who progress beyond Picked Stones Lane must be full distance entrants and in possession of tallies for the main event.
If in doubt about your capabilities we recommend you enter for the full distance as you can always drop out at the Picked Stones Lane check point if necessary and enjoy the BBQ!
5) The object of the exercise is to walk a route following as closely as possible the boundary of Exmoor Royal Forest; the Route Instructions issued prior to the start are designed to achieve this and should be followed implicitly.
6) The organisers will disqualify any walker scaling a fence where a gate exists, taking a short cut, or failing to re-fasten a gate. This sanction is necessary to ensure that the entire route, much of which passes over private land, remains available.
7) The organisers accept that some walkers may wish to carry mobile telephones. There is no objection to this practice, provided that the instruments are used principally for emergency purposes if so required. Please remember that there is not very good mobile reception on Exmoor.
Should a walker, in a non-emergency situation, wish to retire and to use the mobile telephone to summon private transport to an arranged pick-up point, then, for obvious reasons, either control at Pinkery or the marshal at the nearest Check Point must be informed of the retirement.
Please check this website for any last minute changes to the event, particularly in the run-up to the event taking place.
All entrants should be aware that this is a long distance walk and a lot of stamina is required to complete the distance. We therefore recommend that if you are not a regular long distance walker that you undertake suitable training beforehand.
Whilst the organisers will do everything possible to safeguard walkers, no responsibility can be accepted. Those who require insurance cover against possible injury and/or loss of, or damage to, property should make their own arrangements.
Please note that the organisers reserve the right to reorganise the event in any way considered appropriate to prevailing conditions. If the event has to be cancelled through no fault of the event organisers, no refund will be made but the entry fee will be transferred to the following years event.
Cancellations: Should you need to cancel your booking once it has been confirmed, we must be notified in writing or email by the person making the booking. The date on which written notification is received by us will determine the level of cancellation charges applicable. Charges will be levied at the following percentages of total cost:
Period before event we are notified Percentage of total cost payable
42 days or more Deposit only
30 - 41 days 50% of total cost
15 - 29 days 75% of total cost
14 days or less 100% of total cost
No discount or reduction in fees will be made if the weather or other conditions outside the control of Active Adventure South West preclude all or part of the event taking place.
If Active Adventure South West fails to attend or cancels under no circumstances will consequential losses be met. Concerned hirers are advised to take out insurance to cover this eventuality.